WordPress 3.6 Beta 1 has been released for testing, and this means that you can expect an official WordPress 3.6 release in the near future. If you are a WordPress theme developer or just wanting to stay up-to-date on the latest and greatest, we are going to point out some of the upcoming features.
WordPress 3.6 – New Features Overview
- New Theme: This new release comes standard with a brand new default WordPress theme – Twenty Thirteen. Check out Twenty Thirteen!
- Navigation Menus: A new accordion-based UI is giving the WordPress navigation menu a new look. This release also includes separate tabs for assigning bulk menus to locations.
- Audio/Video: WordPress 3.6 makes it easy for users to embed audio and video files directly into the post.
- Autosave: Have you ever lost content while editing your posts? Posts are now autosaved locally in WordPress 3.6. This will give you the peace of mind in the event of a lost connection.
- Post Locking: Admins will now have the ability to kick editors out if they fall asleep at the wheel.
- Revisions: A newly designed UI with avatars for posts attribution gives a quick visual overview of changes that have been made.
- Post Formats: Post formats have been given their own UI, and authors will be able to access templating functions to access structured data.
As with any new release, it is important that plugins and themes are kept up-to-date to integrate seamlessly with the latest releases. You should always test your themes and plugins in a local or test environment prior to deploying to your live site. This extra step will identify any problems that may arise, and will give you adequate time to address the potential issues. At Code 96 WordPress Design we strive to stay on top of these changes, and you can rest assured that our themes and plugins will integrate with all future WordPress releases.